Saturday, September 6, 2014

Sept 6My CMT Journey continues....
I do remember a beautiful soul named Sister Martha who sat with mom and comforted her after Patty and I were brought in from surgery. When Mom walked into the room and saw us dazed, sick and in pain she broke down. Sister Martha found a quiet place and she and mom sat and talked, cried and prayed. Sister Martha also gave Patty and I stuffed animals. But all was not sad. Children are resilient. Patty and I used to have wheelchair races up and down the hall outside of our hospital room. We would take empty syringes and have water gun fights. What was a serious time became a time of fun and games. The nurses and staff were so kind, and being it was a Catholic Hospital we had many visits from nuns such as Sister Martha. God had us in the palms of His hands and we didn't even know it. Our first surgery consisted of having a cast covering the whole length of our leg. From our toes to our hips pretty much. My mom had to carry us into the house from the car when we came home from the hospital. A neighbor came over and tried to help. We learned how to walk with crutches and was home schooled. I remember the agony of my leg itching so bad. I tried find things to put in the cast to scratch in places the fingers wouldn't reach. I got a pen stuck and I had to cut part of the cast to get the pen out. To be continued..... If you feel led to give any donations for researching a cure, you can give online at http://www.cmtausa.org or to the MDA http://www2.mda.org/goto/CMTChallenge Pictured here with my sister, Patty after surgery and us in wheelchairs
Feeling crummy after surgery

On your mark get set go

No comments:

Post a Comment