Thursday, September 4, 2014

Sept 4 My CMT Journey continues,

My mother brought my father with her to one of our appointments and it was confirmed that he had CMT not Polio. He was told as a child he had a form of Polio. Being that all their children were vaccinated against Polio it came as quite a shock that out of their three daughters two inherited the CMT gene. My sister Patty a year older than me, was also diagnosed at age 12, with CMT. My dad who was usually so compassionate and loving towards his daughters became overwhelmed with guilt. My mother did everything she could to keep our lives as active as possible, that included signing us up for girl scouts. My mom always encouraged us to do what we could and not let our disability stop us. She wasn't the type of mother that hovered over us and had us live in a bubble. However, if it came down to safety or danger she was always there to stop us from harm. The good news was that my brother, Eddie, was only a few years old during all this turmoil, and was a joyful distraction for all of us. How love can heal the deepest hurts. My brother was such a loving baby and spoiled by all of us. Although my mom worried about Eddie showing signs of CMT, he never did and he became the hands and feet for my father. To be continued.... If you feel led to give any donations for researching a cure, you can give online at http://www.cmtausa.org or to the MDA http://www2.mda.org/goto/CMTChallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment