Monday, September 8, 2014

My CMT Journey continues...
Sept 8
I was in middle school, or junior high we used to call it in NY, during some of my surgeries. It was a difficult time with my peers. Luckily my home life and friends were comforting. I received so much love from my family and friends. I loved summers and family gatherings. I don't know what I would have done otherwise. Rumors went around school that I had a wooden leg, I had few friends at school. My best friend Kathi-Ann and I were in different classes and didn't see much of each other while in school. My sister Patty's best friend was Donna. Donna was in all her classes and used to stick up for Patty when her class mates teased her. After my sister and I recovered from the ankle fusion we had to have more surgery to straighten out our toes. Another painful procedure. We were now 14 and 15 and were put in the adult ward at the hospital. Patty and I would wheel up and down the corridors and would talk with other patients. In the mornings while waiting for a nurse to come and help me bathe I would sit at the end of the bed in my baby doll pajamas. I used to drive the nurses and nuns crazy. They were always running in my room and covering me up in a sheet or closing the doors. I guess there were a few men walking back and forth in front of our room peeking in and waving. I remember one guy came into our room and a nurse had to come and usher him out. I was very innocent back then. I met a patient, a young man in his 20's, named Brody. I had such a crush on him. When we were in the elevator coming back from physical therapy Patty mentioned to a girl, who we later found out was his girlfriend, that I had a crush on Brody. His girlfriend told us he was going home that day. But he did call me twice while in the hospital. I was floating. What a great way to boost a young gals self-esteem....... To be continued.....If you feel led to give any donations for researching a cure, you can give online at http://www.cmtausa.org or to the MDA http://www2.mda.org/goto/CMTChallenge

Family Reunion 

Me 7th grade

Patty, my cousin Kathy, and myself


No comments:

Post a Comment