Monday, September 29, 2014

Sept 29 My CMT Journey continues.....
One night while thinking of ways to get the awareness of CMT out there, I felt a nudge to tell my story. I am not one who comfortably shares about being disabled. I always wear pants to cover my leg braces and never posted pictures of my hands curled. Sharing my CMT journey with you has been both heart wrenching and healing. I made myself transparent in hopes that it would bring awareness and DONATIONS for researching a cure. I know of many disabled friends are judged because they don't look disabled or some days they can walk and on other days need a wheelchair. There are babies diagnosed at birth with CMT, others diagnosed as children. Some don't show symptoms until later in life as adults. Some can run and some can't even walk. Some of us use walkers or wheelchairs. Most wear leg braces. Some have breathing problems which causes life threatening conditions, “CMT affects the phrenic nerve (which innervates the diaphragm) and the recurrent laryngeal nerve (which innervates the larynx)” (CMTA Fact sheet Breathing problems). Some can lift weights. There are those who live a very functional life and unfortunately others who die way to young. Some work while others are on disability. This disease affects each of us differently. But we all share a common bond in that a cure be found soon and progression to stop." What is faith? It is the confident assurance in what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we can not see yet." Hebrews 11:1 Researching a cure has come far in the last fifty years since my diagnosis, but we still have so much further to go. I pray the day will come soon that the use of leg braces as the only treatment would be old school. I believe researchers will be able to find a drug that helps stop the progression and cure or prevent our children and future generations of having CMT. If I didn't see any signs of hope for a cure I would not have shared my story or worked hard at finding funds to quicken the process. . “As of now there is no cure. Drug discovery and development is never easy, but the CMTA STAR program has identified new approaches and even new opportunities and partners, and is on the verge of having approved drugs that could be appropriate for use in laboratory models of CMT1A and clinical trials for individuals with CMT”. (CMTA Charcot-Marie-Tooth Association - STAR - The CMTA Strategy to Accelerate Research Neuromuscular Medicine) Please take the time to view this video and hear of others stories and the breakthroughs with CMT? Star Charcot Marie Tooth disease video http://youtu.be/7Ow7f_UFX6o If you feel led to give any donations for researching a cure, you can give online at http://www.cmtausa.org/url/sharkchallenge or to the MDA http://www2.mda.org/goto/CMTChallenge

















My Braces


No comments:

Post a Comment