Friday, September 26, 2014

Sept 26 My CMT Journey continues...
 Last November my sister, Laura, gifted me and my family to a wonderful cruise. I was so blessed in having a time filled with so much laughter. I struggled with getting around but my family was great, especially Laura, who pushed me when walking was difficult. I do remember one time when an attendant carried me off the Tender ship and onto the cruise ship after a day at port. He was an answer to my prayers. Wherever I go I usually need help with someone opening the doors for me. I joined two bible study groups. I drive to my destination and someone always comes out to get my walker, help me into the house, serve me coffee and delicacies. Totally spoils me. Thank you guys. I am so amazed that Florida being a handicap friendly state how unequipped they are for people with disabilities. Places like physical therapy, doctor's offices and many restaurants make it difficult to get into. No one has automatic door openers. I was at Target in the electric cart and had to use the restroom. The hallways are so narrow where the bathrooms are. They actually have one for those with disabilities but you couldn't fit, a walker, a wheelchair or a scooter in there. One time while trying to get into the restroom with the help of my sister, a man was so concerned in watching me get out of the scooter and hold onto to my sister to try and get in  he walked into the woman’s room. We were laughing so hard both of us almost fell. Just a few days ago I was in Target and had to use the facilities. My sister was talking to the manager about getting a gift card for our fund raiser. So I went in the electric cart. I tried to fit into the woman's restroom. I asked someone if they would hold the door open for me. She held it until I was half way in then let go. Guess she had to go really bad. Well  now I'm stuck. The back wheel is rubbing against the wall. I can't back up as the door is leaning on me. Thankfully a woman was waiting for her daughters so she held the door open. Now I back out and pull in. I turn the cart and try and go into the handicap facility. I couldn't reach to open the door. I had to ask for assistance, well the
next  person who comes out of the stall happened to be the same woman who left me dangling with the door pushed against me. With a look of annoyance, she opened the door, I got in did my business and was able to push the door out with the scooter. Now I'm the only one left in the bathroom and I can't reach to open the door to get out. I was thinking this must be how a dog feels waiting for a human to let them in or out. Should I start barking? Maybe someone will let me out. I had to sit there a few minutes until some sweet young girl around 9 opened the door and held it open for me. My sister finally arrived and helped hold the door so I could get out. Well you know I won't let this one go. I already called the manager. Perhaps my job is to be an advocate for the disabled and go into stores in the electric cart and see how doable it is to use the restroom. If I didn't have the support of my family and friends I would be devastated.

If you feel led to give any donations for researching a cure, you can give online at http://www.cmtausa.org/url/sharkchallenge or to the MDA http://www2.mda.org/goto/CMTChallenge



My Cruise Caretaker
Patty, Nick and Laura
Patty, Laura and I




Me scooting along

No comments:

Post a Comment