Monday, September 15, 2014

Sept 15, My CMT Journey continues....

My was dad was missed. We all grieved and as a family we supported my mom. She always loved Christmas so we made Christmas a joyous time for her. While recovering from my losses a good friend encouraged me to go back to college. I spent the next several years raising my son as a single mom and getting a degree in Human Services. I was asked to help volunteer at a local Middle School where I was able to counsel children who lived with alcohol abuse. I was hoping to end the cycle of hurting children hurting other children. Only God could bring healing from my past of bullying and abuse from my peers to now teach this same age group, ways to cope and not hurt others. Two topics I wanted to instill in the children, were self-control and think. I brought in a bag of potato chips and told them they could have just one. I then went on with the lesson in the book. Each child would either try and grab for another chip or were frustrated with the chips in a bowl right in front of them. I told them most people who have addictions can not concentrate on anything other than having the next drink or the next high. It's not easy for addicts to just quit. I then taught them the importance of thinking. Use self control and think before you speak. Would you want someone to treat you in the way you treat others. And most times these children were treated unfairly, so I would tell them this room is a safe place for you. We encouraged them to exchange phone numbers with each other and to talk with their guidance counselor. Many of the students who were persistent in coming did better on their grades. One day a week for one hour, this would be their support system, their safety net. They were given tools on how to act not re-act. The guidance counselor welcomed us back each year. Then she moved on to another school and the new counselor was not as supportive so the program closed. If you feel led to give any donations for researching a cure, you can give online at http://www.cmtausa.org/url/sharkchallenge or to the MDA at http://www2.mda.org/goto/CMTChallenge

My Family
My Graduation

No comments:

Post a Comment