Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Sept 24
The first picture I am hoping shows up is a drawing of healthy nerves and then one effected from CMT. The cmtaus.org takes 100% of the proceeds and use it towards research. The MDA has 77% of donations going towards research and the rest is utilized for camps for kids, clinics, repairs ect. Please as my story winds down I ask if you have any funds left in your pockets to help speed up the search for a cure so my son and other children do not have to experience what I and others are enduring. 



My CMT Journey continues.....One morning I walked quickly  to the ringing phone. I tripped and both my knees popped out causing me to fall on top of my left ankle on the tiled floor. I was in so much pain. I crawled to a chair but couldn't get up. Doug had to help me into bed. My sister in law Angela worked for a neurology group and set up an appointment for me. It was my 56th Birthday. I had fractured my ankle and had to stay off of it for 6 weeks. It was only a week later that Doug 's back went out on him. He and I were both a mess. Our church helped with dinners and my son was a tremendous blessing in doing what he could. Usually in September, Doug and I, would spend a week at our honeymoon spot in Manasota Key. We would get a cabin on the beach and spend time in tranquility. Well this is the day that my dreams died. I would no longer be able to sit at a beach or wade in the water. I didn't realize the hardship waiting for me. I tried so hard to get my strength back. I memorized and quoted this verse from Psalm 121. “He will not let you stumble or fall. He who watches over you never sleeps”. I would recite that prayer before and during my walking attempts. When I was able to put weight on my legs, I walked outside to do some much needed weeding. As soon as I walked on uneven ground my knees buckled and I fell. When I vacuumed my knees buckled and I fell. I tried to push myself to walk from one side of the room to another, my legs would shake and I had to grab onto the couch or counter top to keep me from falling. I was emotionally, physically and spiritually wounded. I learned the importance of not using the word of God out of it's contexts. During my next visit to the MDA doctor, I was told more physical therapy.   He explained how it takes time for CMTers to get their strength back. So from March to the end of May I had in home physical therapy. During one of the leg exercises I was feeling my right knee rubbing against a bone. I mentioned it to the P.T. And he kept saying if you keep your leg straight your knee shouldn't be moving. Therapy ended but my knee became worse. I couldn't even walk without using a walker. Back to the doctors. I had a detached knee cap, a bone chip called a pearl floating around and a torn meniscus. It was now July and surgery was set for the beginning of August. A week after surgery more physical therapy. I had in home therapy for eight weeks than on to out patient for another eight weeks. I stopped therapy in December when insurance ran out. There are over 70 different types of CMT, and knowledge is still unknown in the medical field. Many doctors, physical therapists and medical team do not know how to treat all CMT patients. My first physical therapist pushed me to the level of damage not strength. I had to learn this fact the hard way. One of my purposes in telling my story is to educate our medical team as well as friends and family. If you feel led to give any donations for researching a cure, you can give online at http://www.cmtausa.org/url/sharkchallenge or to the MDA http://www2.mda.org/goto/CMTChallenge Pictured here me durring better times at the beach and my grand daughter going for a ride on my walker


No comments:

Post a Comment