Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Sept 10 My CMT Journey continues..
.
"CMT symptoms may also appear in the arms and hands. Wasting of the small muscles of the hands causes finger curling and difficulty in straightening or abducting them.” (CMTA What is CMT) Between the ages of 14-16 I had surgery on my hands. They tried to take the ligaments out of the middle finger and transplant it into the thumb. I had to wear a cast from the elbow to the fingers. At least I could bend my arm. We were hoping the surgery would give more stability to the thumb and to be able to pick things up like a coin or make it easier to button or hold a pencil. In my junior and senior year I was pretty much a wall flower. Where all my friends were dating and enjoying high school I became more withdrawn. I wasn't very social-able. I was shy and extremely insecure. A happy day for me was my graduation day. I got my parents old car a 1962 Ford, which needed lots of work. For me I saw freedom! Funny thing was we never were able to get that car to run much. I then received a 1966 Oldsmobile. Now that was my ticket to freedom. I was through with school and through with surgeries. A whole new world was waiting for me. To be continued...If you feel led to give any donations for researching a cure, you can give online at http://www.cmtausa.org or to the MDA http://www2.mda.org/goto/CMTChallenge 

Me with my best friend Kathi-Ann  
Mom and me 1973

No comments:

Post a Comment