Sunday, October 12, 2014

But blessed are those who trust in the LORD and have made the LORD their hope and confidence.
They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water.
Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought.
Their leaves stay green, and they never stop producing fruit” Jeremiah 17:7-8


Several years back ,my mother had a young palm tree growing wild in her yard. I was a single mom at the time and my yard consisted of weeds and a few shrubs. I asked my mom if I could have the tree. Upon her approval I dug it up and planted the palm in my front yard. I watered it immediately. I was so excited to have this tree grow into a majestic beauty. Every night I went outside dousing it with water. That worked well for a few months but after awhile it didn't look like it was growing. A friend from church, a landscaper by trade, came by to help with a repair. I asked him about the palm tree and how much I should water it, he told me they didn't require a lot of water. He continued, “The more you water the weaker it becomes. When the tree is dry the roots grow down into the natural spring beneath the earth looking for water. If you continuously water it the roots will stay near the top. When the roots grow deep it makes the tree stronger and it weathers the storms.” A few months later a friend was going to throw out a sprouted palm growing wild out of a coconut. I took that home too and planted it near the first palm. I made sure I didn't over water.
What I love about the above verse in Jeremiah and the palm tree experience is how God works in ways we do not understand. Like a tree's roots growing under the earth, we cannot see what God is doing. Eventually, we might see the results or the fruit of His plan. For the past three years my ministry in bearing fruit seemed to be over. I had one injury after another and felt the ravages of the storms of life. I would sit outside and watch the squirrels play and the lizards leap. At out Bible study group we were challenged to spread the word of God. To be disciples of Christ. I mentioned to my fellow Christians, how the only witness I get to give is to the squirrels and lizards. Although we had a laugh it really was disturbing. On the way home I said, “OK Lord, what do you want from me. Let me produce fruit for your glory”.
Shortly after I was on an internet chat room with other CMTers. Someone quoted a few bible verses and caused a stir in the secular group. The scripture verses were deleted from the page and the bible quoter resigned from the group. It really disturbed me. I contacted the administrator of the page and explained how someone posting “What type of shoe helps you” to “What bible verse gives you hope” should be one and the same. After all are we not doing this to help encourage one another?” After a few conversations, and her helpful advise, shortly after Easter weekend of 2014 our CMT Fellowship page was born. We are now over 75 members and it is a great place to share our experience, hopes, prayers, inspirations and Bible verses. I than continued to spread the word of hope through this blog. Just this last month for the first time in 50 years I shared my story and faith in having CMT.

I didn't see all God was doing to prepare the way. I felt at times barren and forsaken. However, I didn't give up and just kept pushing deeper. I allowed my roots to grow deep into my faith and found the spring of living water. That palm tree that grew out of a coconut, well it grew into a majestic beauty and gave off numerous coconuts. Both trees continue to grow through the droughts, heat and storms. I too am growing stronger in my faith during this difficult time in m life. I know more fruit will be produced as long as I remain in our Lord. (Romans 15:5).

3 comments:

  1. Love love love this post! I also never knew that about the palm trees. I love all of the different varieties. I am so glad you are writing I have something else to look forward to. I can atest that my roots also grow deeper in times of trial. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen check out my latest http://job6-3.blogspot.com/2014/11/can-do-list-interrupted.html
    I am here right with you. I think part of it is we need to keep our sense of humor when at all possible.

    ReplyDelete